The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits discrimination and ensures equal opportunity for persons with disabilities in employment, State and local government services, public accommodations, commercial facilities, and transportation. As public schools, charter schools should be aware of ADA compliance issues as they relate to their facilities and programming.
Miriam Nunberg, Executive Director of Education and Accountability at the Brooklyn Urban Garden Charter School (BUGS) shares her expertise on ADA compliance in schools in the short webinar below.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights: 646-428-3900
- Technical specifications: http://www.access-board.gov/
- Technical specifications: http://www.ada.gov/
- Charter school oriented summary of ADA and Section 504:
- Detailed Q & A: http://adaptiveenvironments.org/neada/pubdocs/pub_227_sch_programaccess.txt