There’s no way around it. Applying for a charter is hard work. Successful applications are hundreds of pages long and often the product of years of research and development. The good news? You don’t have to do it alone.
If you are looking for more information about starting a charter school in New York City, your first step should be participating in our Charter 101 webinar. During this interactive webinar you’ll learn about the New York State authorizers, application timelines and the components of a successful planning team.
Register for Charter 101 Webinar
SUPPORT FOR YOUR APPLICATION
With industry experts on hand and seminars focused on developing stronger applications, the Apply Right program will help your planning team get your vision off the ground. Our team will provide you with the tools, guidance and resources you’ll need to ensure your charter application is ready for submission to New York State charter authorizers.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Apply Right has two phases of programming. Register for Phase 1 here.
Phase 1 - Application Workshop
The Application Workshop follows an intensive model that enables your team to tackle the application’s various components efficiently, including academic design and curriculum, data and assessment, budgeting and operations, and community engagement. Program participants will receive:
- Two days of programming designed and led by former SUNY-CSI authorizer and nationally recognized charter school application consultant, Simeon Stolzberg
- Budget-focused presentations led by the award winning Charter School Business Management (CSBM) team
- Work plans, resources and templates to inform your school development
- High quality exemplars from successful applicants
Upon completion of the workshop the Charter Center team will conduct quality review assessments to determine whether or not teams will be invited to Phase 2 (see below). More information regarding the assessment process will be available at the Application Workshop.
Phase 2 - Application Consulting
High capacity teams completing Phase 1 will be invited to participate in Phase 2. This program offers application consulting and individualized supports to planning teams as they complete the written application and move through the authorizer’s cycle. Qualified teams will have access to:
- Up to 5 individualized consulting hours with Simeon Stolzberg, including 3 hours specifically for reviewing written drafts of the application
- Up to 3 individualized consulting hours with CSBM
- Up to 7 consulting hours with the Charter Center’s specialized teams
- In-depth tours of several of NYC’s highest performing charter schools
- Opportunities to gather as a peer-based cohort
- Mock authorizer interview session
"From getting up to speed on the overall application process to wading into the vagaries of charter school budgeting, the Charter Center’s application workshops covered the key areas comprehensively and were immensely helpful to our planning team."
- Suyin So, Executive Director, Central Queens Academy Charter School
ELIGIBILITYTo be eligible for the Phase 1 Application Workshop, teams must:
- Plan to submit a charter application by the deadline for opening a school in 2016;
- Have at least three team members willing to commit to the program;
- Intend to open in one of the New York City’s five boroughs; and,
- Show commitment to building a high quality public charter school.
$750 per team
DATES & DEADLINES (For 2015 - Round 2 of the RFP Process)
Registration for Phase 1 will close on April 30. Register now!
The Phase 1 schedule is below:
Proposed Intensive Sessions
Introductions, Analysis of Previous Applications, and Materials Drop
Facilities & Community Outreach
Board Governance & Charter Law
Business, Budget and Operations
Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
Data, Evaluation, Reporting
Special Populations: ELL and SpEd