Make Yourself at Home Among People Who Can Help
You’ve just been chartered to open a school in NYC…now what? Do you and your fellow planning team members intend to strategize at each other’s dining room tables? Will you constantly be running to Staples to copy your recruitment flyers? Will you be interviewing potential teachers in coffee shops?
If you are interested in establishing a professional working environment, while receiving supports and resources from NYC’s leading school start-up experts, then the Charter Center’s New School Incubation Program is for you. Over 50 of NYC’s charter schools have incubated in the Charter Center’s office spaces over the years. Incubators have unlimited access to everything from supplies and photocopiers to phones and meeting rooms. In addition, as an Incubator you have the opportunity to participate in a community of learning that includes other colleagues starting schools as well as unlimited access to Charter Center staff and our many resources and exemplars.
Participation in the Incubation Program includes:
- 24/7 secured access to your own dedicated cubicle space in the Charter Center
- Lower Manhattan office with proximity to A,C,E,4,5, 1,2,3, J and R subway trains, as well as the PATH train
- Full use of high-speed internet & WiFi
- Assigned phone number extension for direct contact and full phone service including voicemail
- Free coping, printing, scanning, faxing & office supplies
- Use of mailing address with Fed Ex and daily mail service for recruitment, enrollment and community outreach
- Access to newly renovated 1,152 square foot training room, conference room and private meeting rooms, equipped with audio and visual capabilities – all fully air-conditioned and cleaned nightly
- Use of office kitchen, with filtered water, free coffee and tea
- Opportunity to connect with and learn from other colleagues starting a school
- Access to Charter Center staff, who can assist with operations set-up, public relations, community engagement strategies, charter law and data requests
- Ability to defer rental payment
Eligibility:Space is limited. To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have been authorized to open a charter school in New York City in 2018
- Demonstrate a need for space
- Show high operational and academic potential
- Possess a desire to collaborate
$675 per month; eight-month minimum commitment with the option to extend monthly through August 24, 2018. The cost can be written into your CSP start-up grant request. Fees payable to the Charter Center upon receipt of the first CSP grant check in June 2018.
All incubation spaces are currently filled. New incubation applications will be accepted on a rolling basis beginning September 2017.