The NYC Charter School Center conducts monthly certification sessions for charter school teachers in participating schools seeking certification guidance. Certification consultants work individually with each participant to develop an educational plan to achieve NYS certification in the most expedient manner possible.
To attend a session you must register and complete the appropriate Credential Review Form below:
To be eligible for an Individual Evaluation you must meet all of the criteria below:
For teachers seeking first certification:
|I have not completed an approved NYS teacher preparation program.|
|I do not have a valid out-of-state teaching certificate.|
|I am not applying for the Childhood Education 1-6 certification as my first NY state certificate.|
|I have an undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher.|
Note: If you are seeking a Childhood Education 1-6 certificate via individual evaluation, you can only submit your Credential Review form for either Early Childhood Education B-2 or Generalist 5-9.
If you meet all of the criteria above please click on the link below:
(For teachers seeking additional certification, you must possess a valid NYSED teaching certificate to be eligible for an Individual Evaluation)
To be eligible for Interstate Reciprocity you must meet one or more of the criteria below:
|I have completed a traditional out-of-state teacher preparation program.|
|I have completed an alternative teacher preparation program, have a valid out-of-state certificate(s) and three years of teaching experience under that state’s certificate.|
|I completed a Teach for America program from another state.|
If you meet one or more of the criteria above, and you are in possession of student copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts, all out-of-state certificates and a current resume, please click on the link below:Credential Review Form for Interstate Reciprocity
WHEN IS THE SESSION?
The NYC Charter School Center hosts a Certification session once a month. Only teachers seeking an NYS certificate from a participating charter school may schedule an appointment for the session. Please check with your school leader/HR/Ops director to see if you qualify to attend the session.
Please note: We are unable to provide NYS certification advice outside of the workshops.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE SESSION:
- Please bring a photo ID to show security upon entry into the building;
- Student copies of transcripts from every college you attend. (Kindly note that we will NOT be able to do an evaluation for you unless you bring student copies of transcripts from every college you attended. Computer print-outs are NOT accepted.
You should bring any other related documents you may have such as:
- Prior evaluation(s) from the NYS Education Department.
- Proof of prior teaching experience. (on official school letterhead)
- Proof of completion of the NYS mandated workshops - Child Abuse Identification, Violence Prevention and Autism (the autism workshop is only for those seeking Special Education certificates)
- Copy of all out-of-state teaching certificate(s) for those applying for NYS certification based on reciprocity. This is in addition to copies of ALL college transcripts.
WHERE IS THE SESSION?
New York City Charter School Center
111 Broadway, Suite 604
New York, NY 10006
(same block as Trinity Church)
Public transportation is recommended since street parking is generally not available. It is anticipated that you will work with your evaluator for approximately 30-45 minutes.
Sessions below are on Monday, except those marked with an * which are on Tuesday.
July 28, 1-6:15pm
August 11, 1-6:15pm
August 18, 2-6:15pm
September 15, 4-8:15pm
*October 14, 4-8:15pm
October 27, 4-8:15pm
November 17, 4-8:15pm
December 8, 4-8:15pm
January 12, 4-8:15pm
February 9, 4-8:15pm
March 9, 4-8:15pm
*May 4, 4-8:15pm
May 11, 4-8:15pm
June 1, 4-8:15pm